Friday, August 6, 2010

Art Bench


My wonderful husband built this bench for me shortly after we moved into our house. He locked me out of the basement as he was building, wanting the final product to be a surprise! The top utilized a piece of laminate counter top that my parents had from when they built their house. I believe they didn't use it because the sink hole was cut in the wrong place - you can see where we found the sink insert at a wholesale store. Since you can replace this piece easily and cheaply, I can use it as a cutting board or just not worry about marring it too badly.

I absolutely LOVE this bench, and it not only holds all of my art supplies but also acts as a display for projects. (He also built the bookshelf next to it for all of my books.) Over the years I have added curtains, added metal sheeting to the back for magnetic holders and displays, and painted the front detail. My husband has also added an additional outlet in the middle of the bench behind the curtains and took me to pick out a bar stool. Needless to say, this is where the bulk of my artwork takes place. It is located next to a porcelain sink in the basement which comes in VERY handy, especially when you are painting.

None of this would be possible if it weren't for my loving husband Paul. A huge thank you to him as he understands my need for creating art and various crafty things. Thanks, babe - love you oodles of noodles. =)

No comments: